The Edinburgh and South-East Scotland City Region comprises six local authorities. 24% of the Scottish population live in this part of Scotland.
What is a City Region Deal?
A City Region Deal is a mechanism for accelerating growth by pulling in significant government investment. By investing this funding in innovation, skills and infrastructure, performance will be significantly improved, and we will tackle inequality and deprivation.
The six local authorities that make up the Edinburgh and South East Scotland City region, together with regional universities, colleges and the private sector signed Heads of Terms on a City Region Deal with a value of over £1.1bn. The Deal will drive productivity and growth while reducing inequalities and deprivation.
The Heads of Terms documents a range of projects that will:
• Build on the region’s strengths such as its high growth sectors that will provide the jobs of the future, its world class universities that are working with businesses on
ground breaking R&D and innovation and Edinburgh’s world class cultural offer.
• Address key economic barriers with significant new investment in housing and transport.
• Address issues which are constraining the region’s economic potential and which match the strategic priorities for growth as outlined in the Scottish Government’s
Economic Strategy and the UK Government’s emerging Industrial Strategy
• Advance inclusive and accelerated growth.
These arebroken down into five key programmes:
• Research, Development and Innovation
• Employability and Skills
By supporting our vision you will help us accelerate the growth of our region’s economy while tackling inequality and deprivation. We will keep you updated with our progress.
For any detailed comments please email the City Region Deal team at ESESCRCityDeal@edinburgh.gov.uk